Sunday, December 19, 2010

a winter walk

I'll be done with applications soon so I'll be taking a lot of new pictures. These ones are actually from November-- we have four times the amount of snow now. It is a veritable winter wonderland.

IMG_9497

My walking companions, Ole and Sven.

IMG_9504

IMG_9505

IMG_9506

IMG_9507

IMG_9508

IMG_9513

IMG_9510

IMG_9514

IMG_9520

You really can't walk very fast in those big boots.

IMG_9522

One of the fun things about winter in Minnesota is that it allows you access to places that you don't get to explore during the rest of the year. As anyone who listens to Garrison Keillor knows, we have a lot of lakes. My family's forty acres, for instance, has two pond-lakes and is attached to one small lake. These pictures are from an area that has frozen over and is usually filled with swampy water and weeds.

IMG_9527

IMG_9526

IMG_9528

It had an interesting, sort of magical quality about it that I think a person can only understand if he/she grew up with that sense of "exploring"-- attics, trees, unopened drawers or cupboards, mountains and castles (or what seem like mountains and castles). If you are that sort of person you never get bored; you always know how to amuse yourself in some way.

IMG_9529

I'm afraid I don't get enough of that sort of thing anymore.

IMG_9534

IMG_9531

No comments:

Post a Comment